The launch of UBSEDS3 is planned for noon on 26th October 2014 (UKHAS Launch Announcment). The pico tracker will be built into a paper plane and launched inside a High Altitude Balloon by the MARSBalloon team. When the balloon bursts, the paper plane will hopefully glide back down to earth.
A prototype of the paper plane developed by Oly Cotton.
The Pico Tracker
We’ve made several improvements since the last launch:
- GPS module is upgraded from a uBlox 6 to a uBlox 8 chipset, and now uses the standard MAX-M8C with an external wire antenna.
- The radio is fitted with a Temperature Controlled Oscillator (TCXO) for much better frequency stability.
- The MCU enters sleep mode when inactive to save power.
- The internal temperature of the radio is reported.
The tracker and its battery happily makes it in under 15 grams.
The PCB has been sprayed with laqcuer for protection against damp on the way back down through the troposphere.
- Total distance traveled:
- Great circle distance:
- Maximum altitude:
- Countries passed through:
Thank you to all listeners who tracked this flight!